Thursday, March 3, 2011

To Friend or Not To Friend That is the Question!

To Friend or Not to friend.......That is the Question. I have been doing a lot of thinking about friendship and friends. Probably because of where I am on my Journey of Life in Christ. I have experienced some people who I considered to be friends who actually turned out to not really be friends at all. One person I was wasn't surprised by the outcome of the relationship but a few I was really surprised and affected by the outcome. I think friendship and trust go hand in hand. You automatically trust that a friend or TRUE FRIEND has your best interest at heart and so your naturally TRUST your friends.

Anytime you trust someone you risk the possibility of getting hurt because trust requires that you let down your guard. It requires a level of vulnerability. Opening yourself up and being vulnerable is risky because it exposes you to the possibility of hurt. The sad thing about hurt is that once you have been hurt most people build a wall that grows every time they are hurt again. So by the time you look up, you could be living in this prison of hurt, and fear of being hurt that cuts you off from others. I have never wanted that to be me. I still don't want that to be me, even after being deeply hurt by a person I considered to be a true friend, I don't want to shut myself off from people. I want to remain open and unguarded, not build walls especially with those that I consider to be friends. Which is why I don't just call everyone a friend. I have many people that I talk to and many people that I am friendly with, many associates, but to get the title of FRIEND from me is a special thing.

So after this recent turn of events I am left with a choice. What am I going to do? Am I going to build up a wall and close myself off from people. Am I going to become mistrusting of all women and adopt the attitude of so many women. One that says "I don't like women they are to catty"? I am at a cross roads right now because I am TEMPTED to become guarded and not trusting and honestly I DON'T want to be like that. Being like that shuts you off from what I think is one of the greatest joys in life. Companionship...friendship. There are so many pros that come with a friend. Having someone to talk to, having someone who will love you good and bad, flaws and all. Having someone to depend on, to laugh with, hang out with, do the things you enjoy doing in life, like go dancing or see a movie or just chatting. People who will be there with you at every stage in life. To ME that is priceless. So I CHOOSE not to shut my self off from the possibility of that, because I have found that like all things when dealing with people.....people are people and they will make mistakes just as I will make mistakes. You have to be forgiving and forbearing but the PLUS of that to me far outweighs the risk.

This not only applies in friendships, but also in marriages and relationships, and family....all of the above. So I choose to remain open. :-) And in the meantime I am so appreciative of my BEST friend.....JESUS and my husband because he is a great friend. We have been through so much TOGETHER and he loves me anyway :-).

Enjoy your day and CHOOSE to stay open. :-)

foreverforgiven1
http://www.totalvictoryexperience.org/

3 comments:

  1. Interesting synopsis...I would say that the most important factor in a friendship is choosing the right person to call "friend". Some friendship or meant to last a lifetime, while others are just for a season. Wisdom is knowing the difference between the two. I agree, know one should shut themselves off from ever becoming friends with anyone because of two or three knucklehead friendships, but we should use wisdom the next go around and allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us to friendships that build us up, instead of tearing us down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Honey. (Everyone John Davis is my Husband). Excellent point..... I think though sometimes your heart wants something that isn't always wise. For instance becoming great friends with a gossiper is not really wise or befriending a person with a NENE type personality NOT wise. So wisdom is really key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be very hurtful to lose a friendship because death is painful. I don't use the word friend lightly except on Facebook because that is what Facebook calls it. I prefer the term associate because I know that throughout life we encounter many people. Some will become associates and some will become true friends. Associates come for a season and a purpose and then they leave because that is what they are supposed to do. A true friendship can survive being separated by continents. You may only end up with one and that one may be your spouse or a relative. We all need love from humans and this need keeps up from getting to the point where we close ourselves off from others, but I have also learned not to expect too much from others then if they let me down I don’t fall so far that I can’t get back up. I don’t know if that’s right but it is what I have learned to do.

    ReplyDelete